Illinois Global Education Abroad Committee
The Illinois Global Education Abroad Committee is a new campus-wide committee formed to complement the continuing work of the Illinois Abroad Implementation Committee and to provide guidance on specific study abroad issues.
The Illinois Global Education Abroad Committee is a newly formed committee with Joy Phaphouvaninh and Allison Witt as Co-Chairs. The committee was formed to continue the work identified in the Task Force on Illinois Study Abroad Report and essentially works to replace the IAPC and EAAC. The committee works alongside the Illinois Abroad Implementation Committee to provide direction and guidance related to study abroad. The committee has two major goals:
1. Develop a vision and mission for education abroad at the University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign, guided by the updated Forum on Education Abroad and in alignment with our university’s strategic priorities as articulated in The Next 150, as well as college strategic priorities for global education including study abroad. In light of the changing context and emerging redefinition of education abroad, the committee should consider a broader conceptualization of education abroad, inclusive of traditional study abroad programs, virtual opportunities, as well as other global educational experiences.
2. Develop a strategy for diversifying education abroad programmatic offerings both geographically and demographically, with a particular focus on initiatives in the global South and intentional engagement of historically under-represented students.
- Kate Abney, Intercultural and Global Learning, College of LAS
- Brian Allan, School of Integrative Biology, College of LAS (Fall 2020 only)
- Matt Abbott, Graduate College Registrar
- Gretchen Adams, College of Applied Health Sciences
- Meredith Blumthal, Grainger College of Engineering
- Jan Brooks, Department of Human Development and Family Studies
- Donna Butler, Office of the Registrar
- David Chih, Asian American Cultural Center
- Katie Clark, College of Media
- Andrew Collum, International Safety and Security, Illinois International
- Alicia Freter, College of ACES
- Elly Hanauer, College of Liberal Arts and Sciences
- Sammer Jones, Global Relations, Illinois International
- Nicole Lamers, Gies College of Business
- Jennifer Mendez, Asian American Cultural Center
- Kathy Martensen, Office of the Provost
- Nicole Turner, College of Fine and Applied Arts
- Melissa Newell, School of Information Sciences
- Joy Phaphouvaninh, Illinois Abroad and Global Exchange, Co-Chair
- Amira Al-Mutairi, International Students and Scholar Services
- Sara Watson, Director of I-Promise
- Allison Witt, College of Education, Co-Chair
- Irina Valenzuela, Graduate Student, Department of Economics
Questions about the committee may be directed to Illinois Abroad and Global Exchange.