International Safety and Security
International Safety and Security supports students, faculty, and staff traveling internationally for university-related activities on a 24/7 basis through numerous services.
The mission of the International Safety and Security team is to support the health, safety, and security of University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign students, faculty, and staff through detailed traveler and program preparation prior to travel and comprehensive incident response 24/7.
The university is one of the early adopters of having a designated staff person who deals exclusively with the healthy, safety and security of its students, faculty, and staff abroad. The daily operations of their staff include:
- Responding to student, faculty, and staff incidents abroad on a 24/7 basis;
- Traveler insurance enrollment;
- Monitoring world events;
- Providing traveler and program advice and guidance;
- Pre-departure orientation and preparation for students and staff, and
- Reviewing and updating University policy and procedures related to international travel.
The International Safety and Security team works closely with the Office of Risk Management, the Office of University Counsel, the Dean of Students, Public Affairs, the Provost, and the Chancellor. They also work closely with the various education abroad offices, colleges, schools, departments, and other units to monitor programs and assist students and travelers.