International Student Support
Executive Order on Immigration
On 27 January 2017, President Trump signed an executive order that suspends entry visas for citizens of Syria, Iran, Iraq, Somalia, Libya, Sudan, and Yemen for 90 days. Our international students, faculty, staff, postdocs, and visiting scholars are highly valued members of our community, who have already been thoroughly vetted through the visa and immigration process. The University of Illinois system, campus offices, and individuals have worked to identify and outline resources available to the affected members of our community. These resources are available online here
(Effective date: 28 January 2017)
The university recommends that citizens from the affected countries avoid traveling outside the United States until there is further assessment of the new policy. The University will continue to carefully monitor this situation and provide updates as we receive them.
Statements from Campus Leadership
- Read the letter from President Tim Killeen, Executive Vice President Barbara J. Wilson, and the three University of Illinois chancellors.
- Read the letter to the Urbana campus from Chancellor Robert J. Jones and Interim Provost Edward Feser.
- See information about support services and university practices including whom to contact with questions.
- The Urbana campus has created an FAQ for students, scholars, faculty, and other impacted persons to help answer any questions they may have.
- International Students and Scholar Services (ISSS) provides support and guidance to international students, faculty, staff, postdocs and visiting scholars.
ISSS Student Office
400 Student Services Building
610 East John Street, Champaign
Phone: 217-333-1303 ext. 1
ISSS Faculty, Staff and Scholar Office
327 International Studies Building
910 South Fifth Street, Champaign
Phone: 217-333-1303 ext. 2