The University of Illinois opened its Shanghai Office in December of 2013. The Shanghai Office operates as a natural extension of the Illinois-China partnership that has been robustly developing for more than a century.
In January 2016, Illinois International, under the leadership of Dr. Reitumetse Obakeng Mabokela, the Vice Provost for International Affairs and Global Strategies, assumed responsibility over the Shanghai Office. It is managed by the Global Communications and Protocol unit, which handles all outgoing international communication and international leadership travel for the university. Its Director, Veerle Opgenhaffen, oversees the Shanghai team from the Urbana campus and serves as a liaison for all the relevant university units and colleges with a vested interest in developing the Illinois footprint in China.
The mandate of the Shanghai Office is to:
- Provide prospective students with targeted information that will guide their decision-making process as they explore the best options for higher education in the United States;
- Assist incoming students and their families as they navigate the journey toward becoming Illinois students;
- Liaise with top companies in both China and the United States to ensure a successful career path for students and alumni;
- Coordinate the Chinese Illinois alumni experience, including by fostering strong mentorship programs that connect successful alumni to current students excelling in their discipline;
- Establish strong career fair opportunities that reflect the world-class caliber of an Illinois education;
- Uphold the highest protocol standards for visiting faculty and leadership from Illinois to China;
- Explore diverse opportunities for the Illinois executive training programs (Global Education and Training and its China Executive Leadership Programs);
- Provide support to a growing roster of key partnerships, such as the forthcoming collaboration with Zheijang University; and,
- Serve as ambassadors for Illinois throughout China, including in: the in-country, pre-departure orientation programs for new students and their families; alumni networking events; career fairs; and as active members of the American Universities in China Association (AUCA)—a coalition of peer universities who have a physical presence in China.
Illinois International works diligently to ensure that new graduates have the best opportunities available in the global marketplace when they leave Illinois. To that end, a great amount of energy is invested in fostering relationships and securing strong ties with some of the best companies in the world. Post a job or find a candidate via the Hire Illini Job Portal
Top company placements
- Alibaba Group
- China Minsheng Bank
- Fosun Group
- Johnson & Johnson
- MARAZZI Group
- Pingan Assets Management
- Red Fortune Wealth Management
- Shagnhai Futures Exchange
- Shanghai General Motors
- Shanghai Shimao Group
- Shanghai Stock Exchange
- United Imaging
If you are part of the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign and want to know more about how the Shanghai Office can advance your priorities and goals, please contact: Veerle Opgenhaffen at firstname.lastname@example.org
If you are a corporation, prospective or current student, partner university, or Illinois alumni seeking assistance in China, please contact the Shanghai Office at email@example.com
Suite 631, Shanghai Center
1376 W. Nanjing Rd.
Shanghai, China 200040
Phone: +86 (021)-6279-7871